For my birthday I got mail


Wednesday, 12/9 was my birthday, so I decided I’d try to take a break from fighting the Goliath that is USPS. Unfortunately, it was the day the USPS started responding to me regarding my various emails I sent to the leadership. Apparently, I must have finally touched the right nerve- because the past two days have been full of higher ups calling me. 

Tuesday, 12/8 at ~6:30 pm, I received a phone call from Wanda Prater, the Post Master and Randy Stine, District Manager. These people were on the top of my “fire them” list, not only because of these past few weeks, but the years of issues Schakowsky has noted many times. Their phone call consisted of clarifying the issues and what exactly they were doing about it- but
specifically in regards to my case. Randy Stine was quiet for most of the phone call, so it was mostly Ms Prater explaining her resolutions to the issues. A rundown of what she said:

Wanda Prater, Post Master
1. She was at the Rogers Park Post office for ~12 hours a day, trying to get the mail sorted out and sent. 

2. My name and address were on a sign in the sorting room. I figured this might be the case when I spoke to supervisor Ms. Lucas when I went to the post office on the 2nd. I did not receive mail from 2nd till the 8th. 

3. Ms. Prater told me she was personally going through the mail to find my mail. 

4. She had a supervisor drop mail off to my home from the days mail (12/8). There was 3 pieces of junk. Fine- typical “day’s worth,” of mail. 

First Online Service request 11/16

She was apologetic but defensive- I did come for her in my email to so many USPS people. I get it. I remained firm, and clarified that there is no reason for this delay. When she mentioned that now, at the beginning of December, they were entering the highest volume of mail during the year due to the holidays. I had to remind her that I’ve been reaching out to her, the Rogers park post office, and followed every protocol that USPS recommends a month ago. I was so worried
this was going to happen, that’s why I started reaching out weeks ago. When no one responded, when I got an email that said “your case has been resolved!”  (see photo) That is when I reached out to Jan Schakowsky and the media. So for her to tell me I hadn’t reached out to her (she meant via email, I don’t have her email, but I left her messages every day). It was another reason to hold them accountable for their poor management. 

On 12/8, I also told Randy Stine on the phone that I was missing packages. I did not have the capability to look into that on the phone but I did follow up on that on 12/10. He said he would personally look into it. 

Supervisor, 12/8 6:20pm
6pm on 12/8, Ms. Prater sent a supervisor to my house with these three pieces of daily mail. For reference, most of my neighbors are reporting no mail delivery for the past week. 


3 piece of junk mail, post marked 12/3

8:45pm on 12/8, Ms. Prater brought someone to my house, rang my doorbell twice with a pile of mail for this address. It wasn’t all for my family. It was a mix of mail for a lot of people that have lived here or the people who live downstairs. Some of the mail we received was from 11/4. 
1 piece of this mail for us, the rest for others
who don't even live here anymore.
Person dropping off more mail on 12/8 at 8:56 pm


Mike Mcinturf, USPS
Great Lakes Area Marketing Manager
On 12/9, I did my best to ignore the situation due to it being my birthday and this situation stresses me out so badly. Apparently the email I sent really got some attention, because Michael Mcinturf called me. He is the Marketing Manager for the Great Lakes region. He was very interested in my story, and I told him in great detail why I was so upset, how I had done everything that USPS suggested. I told him our carrier transferred to another Post Office, so it’s
not like our carrier quit suddenly or was sick- they had to know in advance she was leaving. So I’m left wondering why our route was not covered before she left. Also, why wasn’t she replaced for weeks. This screams mismanagement to me. Just as we as a community have been saying for years. So here we are- left in a health, economic, and mail crisis. 


I’m hoping all of this isn’t just performative by the management. I’m keeping this blog to keep them accountable. So in 2 months, 6 months we aren’t in this situation again. 

Now, I get phone calls from someone at USPS management everyday! Musette Henley, Wanda Prater, This Mr. Mcinturf- and still no mail from November. We are getting semi-regular mail, and I am seeing neighbors getting old mail, which is great. 

Here is an example of the kind of mail we got this past week: 

Large packet of mail, some post marked 11/3


outdated coupon


Post marked 11/3



Bank letter dated 11/4


MEDICAL BILL dated 11/4, DUE 11/27 



New Insurance cards postmarked 11/4

On a more personal, woe is me note- we haven’t gotten any Christmas cards. In a year when we’re all isolated from each other, I’m pregnant, people are sending us well wishes, and I want to see it and experience it. Because of some people’s incompetence, creating a culture of mismanagement, I’m stressed and even more lonely. 

What are others doing? What are the vulnerable people in our community doing? Is Ms. Prater looking for medications, checks, important documents people need? Or just my junk? I’ll ask. 

Has our situation improved, yes. But I’m not going to convince myself that this will last. When we have all our mail from November, daily delivered mail, and we don’t have to BEG and THREATEN people’s livelihoods to get our mail, which is a constitutional right- then I’ll be satisfied. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Starting to feel like the Titanic Lady

Roger's Park Post Office Informal Resident Responses Email